Wednesday, June 17, 2020
Role of Zinc supplements during Coronavirus pandemic
There is no direct evidence for ZINC in COVID-19. All evidence is general.
1. Zinc has context dependent effects on NF-kB. It can inhibit NF-kB in some scenarios, and activate the same in other context. - Net effect in vivo on NF-kB – not clear.
2. Zinc is recommended in common colds, there are references that Zn reduces inflammatory cytokines. This could definitely help in controling cytokine storms.
3. Zinc supplementation of zinc increases NK cells.
4. Zinc deficiency decreases T lymphocyte number.
5. Zinc inhibits SHP, thus increasing signaling from TCR.
6. Zinc binds IKKB and reduces NF-kB activation, with beneficial effects in sepsis.
Relevant ref -
Self-Care for Common Colds: The Pivotal Role of Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Echinacea in Three Main Immune Interactive Clusters (Physical Barriers, Innate and Adaptive Immunity) Involved during an Episode of Common Colds-Practical Advice on Dosages and on the Time to Take These Nutrients/Botanicals in order to Prevent or Treat Common Colds.
Regulation of T cell receptor signaling by activation-induced zinc influx
In summary, Zinc deficiency can make Covid19 worse but supplementing it above and beyond the daily requirement is unlikely to do much.
Regular supplement doses cannot hurt.
(As posted by Dr. Ravi on our whatsapp group of PGIMER Alumni)
No evidence about zinc. In Covid pandemic. I recall Prof Mehra talking about George shambough that these days he is selling zinc for COM. This was during 1985 86. No harm though cap zevit containing 22.5 mg zinc twice a day could not be an unsafe bet (Posted by my teacher n mentor Prof: Naresh Kumar Panda on our WhatsApp group)
Dear Friends, I hope this message finds you in good health and high spirits. Welcome to my blog, a space dedicated to educating my patients ...
How should I take steam? Steam can be taken by either the convenient Steamer or from the boiling water on a heater. The second option i...
People often visit ENT Doctors worrying about red bumps behind tongue? वे जीभ के पीछे लाल दाने की उत्पत्ति के बारे में पूछते हैं ? I wish...
Hi This gentleman was being treated with antibiotics for left side throat pain. When I examined him, I found an aphthous ulcer over left to...